Back up Dobro, exploring the fretboard
A toughtful idea in this Doug Cox work. As you spend more (much more!) time playing backup in a band, focus on the fretboard to know it better, with the specificities of the dobro.
The book comes with a very useful audio CD.
Do not hope to avoid this, the author quickly takes you to the scales subject. But do not be afraid, you will first work only on a few major scales : G, A, E, C and D, and their (major) chords.
Starting with these few most used scales, it will be much more easy to work on other ones, derived from those.
Also in this first part of the book, arpeggios and chord progression, especially on the usual I IV V forms.
In the second part, you can read about some minor chords, easy on the dobro : Em and Am, and their arpeggios. But it is also about blues, major 7th chords, minor 7th chords and I IV ii V arpeggios.
Please note : those are not guitar style arpeggios with a fixed left hand position, but rather series of notes in the scale, you have to move the tone bar in the arppegios.
In general, Doug Cox lets you locate on the fretboard with accuracy, most often with three graphical ways :
- Drawing with dots (notes), you memorize the global form.
- Standard tablature.
- Indication of the notes in the scale with their effect. R (root), 3 (third) and 5 for... fifth, good guess! So you immediately see the three notes of the triad (chord). Then 2, 6 if needed etc.
The joyful surprise with this book is that you bought it to work on backup (and it is really useful in that matter), but in the end, you will find yourself more audacious, with even more ideas for your solos.
Great, isn't it?
Article rédigé par Ti' Pierre
- Benoît Dupeux, ingénieur luthier ou luthier ingénieux ?
- 2023 - 2024 : calendrier des stages.
- Hervé Lascaux, banjo-partageur
- Alabama Monroe au théâtre
- Mad Meadows spirit
- Rotterdam Bluegrass Festival, june 23, 24 & 25 2023
- Cheat GPT and the Bluegrass composer
- Virton Spring Workshop 2023 : starting blocks !
- Les Cours De Patrick
- Festival L'Herbe Bleue
- Winter, rencontre et transmission
- The Black Indians exhibition in the Quai Branly Museum, Paris
- Jam : déménagement réussi !
- A banjo, three fingers, many melodies.
- Thank you for your support, we continue!
- Kids On Bluegrass Europe, now 2023
- La Roche Bluegrass Workshop, souvenirs côté stagiaires et côté profs
- Calendrier 2023-2024, le chant en stages.
- Tiens !? Un stage de chant en français !
- Soirée Hootenanny & Jam, ven. 06 mai !
- Kids On Bluegrass Europe !
- Rotterdam Bluegrass Festival
- Charles Albert Tindley, Becca Wintle and tears.
- The Stack, Bluegrass Singing Workshop
- Songcatcher, Old Time music, Appalachians mountains and cinema.
- Turkey in the Straw, the controversial.
- Roger Mason, toute une vie de transmission orale
- The California Bluegrass Association, momentum ... and more!
- Virton 2022, go !
- Le Stack ! Stage de chant bluegrass en deux parties.
- PiG Society, la causette.
- Mathilde Cousin, en harmonies.
- New Bluegrass Jam in Isere!
- Les musiciens, la jam et le crayon.
- Le Winter de FBMA, une belle occasion !
- Les 50 ans de Rounder Records
- Quelque part, à un certain moment...
- Banjo Newsletter suspends publication
- There were millions of them.
- The Earl Scruggs Banjo Songbook
- Guitare Bluegrass avec Bryan Sutton
- Doug Lang : I'll meet you on "Riverside Drive" for "Better Days".
- BBT Bluegrass Backing Tracks
- Tom T. Hall, the story Teller.
- Improvisation mélodique
- Bluegrass Backing Tracks
- Shove That Pig's Foot a Little Further in the Fire
- Je me lance à la mandoline !
- School of Banjo
- Acheter son premier banjo en France.
Vous aimez le Bluegrass, l'Old Time, l'Americana.
Vous aimeriez que ces musiques et leurs valeurs soient plus représentées